ETD Question

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 12:26:10 EDT

In a message dated 06/11/2000 4:00:38 AM Central Daylight Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

>  >
>  > >  As far as I am aware the only real statistics available point to a
>  > >  significant difference in the results obtained on the tuning exam from
>  > >  those examinees who have learned to tune mostly with an ETD versus
> those
>  > >  who learned to tune first aurally. The ETD group does poorly.
>  >
Richard, Thanks for your reply, which I pretty much agree with.  I think that
your first paragraph, paraphrased above, gave me the impression that you were
really not in favor of the ETD.  If there were real statistics concerning the
lesser quality of ETD tuners that would be a different kettle of fish (not
tuna fish) ;-)   If tuners want to tune aurally that is great, I certainly
can't argue with a lot of superb tunings, superb by anyones standings.

I agree with your statement completely about lack of awareness but I still
feel like that lack of awareness can be there, ETD or not.

Your right about just turning the pins to where the ETD tells you, this is
one of the reasons I believe tuning the temperment aurally should continue to
be a part of the RPT test.  One should be able to distinguish that right by
the machine may not be right for the piano and the human ear.

Thanks for your input, I think we pretty much agree on this.

David Koelzer
Associate Member
DFW