ETD Question

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 11 Jun 2000 00:33:44 EDT

In a message dated 06/10/2000 5:22:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
Richard.Brekne@grieg.uib.no writes:

Richard, I have a few questions, if you don't mind.

>  As far as I am aware the only real statistics available point to a
>  significant difference in the results obtained on the tuning exam from
>  those examinees who have learned to tune mostly with an ETD versus those
>  who learned to tune first aurally. The ETD group does poorly.

Can you tell me what statistics and where you found them?  I would be
interested in seeing them.

>  This points to my mind of thinking to exactly the kind of weakness we all
>  need to be aware of relating to the use of ETD in general. That it is
>  indeed all to easy to mis-use. And this is sad indeed because, as rightly
>  pointed out by many ETD advocates, the ETD can be an extremly valuable
>  tool.. both for learning and for improving skills, as well as for research.

Wouldn't misuse of an ETD be sloppy work?  If someone has a tendency for
sloppy work even if they learned tuning aurally aren't they still going to do
sloppy work, ETD or not?
So you think the ETD can be valuable for learning, improving skills and
research, how about for tuning?

>  As far as your analogy to the writter and his wordprocessor... not really a
>  valid one now is it ?? I mean the word processer has no ability to write
>  the book for you, where as the ETD can certainly take over the entire
>  process... if you let it.

I don't understand how an ETD could take over the entire process, can you
please elaborate?

>  Which brings us to the only other hard fact we seem to know about all this.
>  Namely that whatever benifits / detrimants the ETD has are entirely (or at
>  least to a very large degree) the result of how the ETD is used.

Absolutely, just as with any tool in your tool kit.  Isn't there a right way
and a wrong way for anything?  Why would you not allow a better tool just
because someone might misuse it?

>  As far as I can see... the rest is pretty much speculation, hunchy,
>  hypothetical... unsubtantiated.

So lets substantiate as much as we can before making judgement.

>  my view

David Koelzer
Associate Member
DFW