Unequal Temperaments

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Fri, 9 Jun 2000 08:35:23 EDT

Ric writes:
<< > The intellectual understanding of temperaments is far and away
> "better" than actually playing or listening to them.  IMHO.   >>

Greetings,
     It is refreshing to see such a clear-cut distinction between two
opinions. On the matter of temperament, I have exactly the opposite opinion
from Ric.
     I think it is far more important to learn what the changes of
temperament do for the music than it is to understand the Rubric's Cube
nature of temperament itself.  Understanding tonality intellectually is
valuable, yes, but learning to sense tonality on a real basis, ie, listening
and playing on a variety of tunings, is, imo, far more important.
    There are several reasons why I say this.  One is that the uninitiated
tuner or musician is more easily attracted by sounds than by a large body of
arcane data and      Secondly, without the sensual rewards that many get from
tonal variety,  there often isn't sufficient interest in pursuing the
rationale and history behind it.  There are commercial implications beginning
to show themselves, also.  A multi-temperament tech has more to offer than a
mono-temperament tech.  I personally didn't have to sacrifice my use of
strict ET to add more dimensions to my tuning work.
    I agree that an ability to tune an acceptable temperament aurally is a
prerequisite to being a capable tuner.   However, saying that an aural tuner
will produce a tuning  superior to one done by a tech using an ETD is going
to be hard to demonstrate.   An ETD is just a tool, and the results depend on
how the tuner uses his/her tools.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT