help with broken tuning pin

DALE DAVIDSON davidsonpianos@hotmail.com
Wed, 07 Jun 2000 11:01:47 NDT

Hello list,

Yesterday I had my first(and hopefully last) experience with a broken tuning
pin. An upright Knabe, broken at the becket hole on the pin closest to the
pressure bar. The pin in question is very tight.
I've seen two different tools in supply house catologues: A simple tap and
die, and something that has a reverse thread that looks like it threads
itself onto the outer diameter of the broken pin. I have about 3/8ths of an
inch of exposed pin to work with.
Any one out there had the pleasure of experiencing this?
I would appreciate any advice regarding type of tools used, any particular
techniques or tricks that worked.

Thank you in advance,

Dale Davidson RPT
Ottawa, Ont., Canada