String splicing

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Thu, 8 Jun 2000 00:29:30 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: <BobDavis88@AOL.COM>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2000 10:45 AM
Subject: Re: String splicing

> remoody@midstatesd.net writes:
>
> > In my experience with night club pianos, I could more times than not get
> >  a new string (plain wire) stable in 2 calls, often that meant with in 5
> >  days.  ---ric
>
> Ric,
> If this were true, a re-strung piano could be stabilized in a week or two,
> and that has not been my experience.
> Bob

Bob
 A replaced string needs much less time to stabilize than a restrung piano
esp if done by leaving it 10 bps over pitch and what Ed Foote suggests,  "If
lot of care is taken to move it around the bends in a logical sequence, it
stabilizes quickly."   To me the most important bend is around the hitch
pin.  I "crimp" that really tight      --- ric