tech/dealership relations

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 12:14:40 EDT

Et Al;

 I just talked to a newer tech who is faced with the following circumstance:

 The tech has a working realtionship with a local dealer and this dealership
has been a 'positive' in building a client base for this tech and a
'positive' for the dealership in much reduced service problems/complaints.
This realtionship has been ongoing for several years. In the past the
dealership would receive calls for tuning and refer the customer to this
tech.....the making of appointments and fees charged were completely up to
the customer and tech with no more involvement from the dealership.  In
return for the referrals this tech devotes one day a week to the dealership
for floor tunings/misc regulations/repair, etc. at what the tech considers
"very reasonable and much reduced prices". (in addition to any "emergency"
stock/imminent delivery calls...my words not the techs)

  Recently the tech has received a memo from the dealership stating that it
will be the practice of the dealership to:
1. Take all customer calls for service.
2. Take all needful information from the customer.
3. Give/relay all the calls to this tech.
4. After waiting a week or so the dealership will call the customer to see if
the service had been scheduled.
5. The dealership will charge the tech $10 for each, I suppose, completed
service call.

  Given the past very amicable relationship the tech in question is slightly
bemused....... and is considering saying 'well OK but in return I will,
charge the "National Average" for floor work on my weekly visits to the floor
of the dealership'. (paraphrased)

 My take is that the tech and dealership are each gaining from the other and
that whatever future realtionship can be worked out should strictly depend on
value received by 'each' party and not on an arbitrary figure of $10 or
"National Average". I hold that all relationships of this nature are
negotiable according to all the variables in each.

 I have faced this problem in the past and I know how I handled it...but what
are your opinions? Or how have you handled like situations in your
practice?..............both from dealers viewpoint and techs?
Thanks for your responses.
Jim Bryant (FL)