Action Geometry

Diane Hofstetter dianepianotuner@hotmail.com
Tue, 06 Jun 2000 15:49:48 PDT

Great idea about a thread on action geometry, Rob!  It seems that that is
the most useful
thing for a _real_ understanding of what we are doing when we regulate.

We are currently working on a JC Fischer grand, converting the action to a
modern one.
The old whippens have no balancier, but a large circular spring that
attaches to a thread on
the hammer butt (that's right, hammer butt on a grand).  The old action
parts are
considerably lighter in weight than the new ones we hope to make work.
Catch is the
customer never liked the piano because it felt so "heavy".  Another issue is
that the new
hammertails are 3/16" shorter than the originals.

We put a new whippen and hammer assembly on a note and weighed it.  We got a
down
weight of 85g and an upweight of 53g.  This results in a friction reading of
16 and a
weight reading of 69.  Then we weighted the key with leads to result in a
downweight of
48 which gave us an upweight of 19, friction  of 14.5 and weight of 33.5.

Hoping to improve these results we experimented with moving the capstan
forward.  We
tried two new positions, .2” and .4” forward (toward the front of the key.)

Results:

	Original position	Original position	.2” forward		.4” forward
	no leads		with leads		with leads		with leads
Up
weight		85			48			48			48

Down		53			19			21			22
weight