Stringing stability

A440A@AOL.COM A440A@AOL.COM
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 13:48:43 EDT

<<  In my experience with night club pianos, I could more times than not get
  a new string (plain wire) stable in 2 calls, often that meant with in 5
  days.  ---ric

Ric,
If this were true, a re-strung piano could be stabilized in a week or two,
and that has not been my experience.
Bob >>

Greetings,
   I had been meaning to post to this point earlier.  I often replace strings
that only need to be pulled up once or twice before becoming stable.  If a
lot of care is taken to move it around the bends in a logical sequence, it
stabilizes quickly.
  I don't see that happening on restringing jobs over new soundboards.  Those
pianos go flat for a year or so,  cumulatively requiring 30 to 60 cents of
raising over the first two years.  I think this is the sounding structure
compressing rather than the wire continuing to stretch.
   A new replacement string becomes stable a lot faster than a completely
restrung piano.
Regards,
Ed Foote