String Splicing

Tom Robinson tomnjan@bellsouth.net
Mon, 05 Jun 2000 15:12:32 -0400

About a month ago I was tuning a 243 at the local high school just hours
before a scheduled concert and an old splice on a treble string failed.
I measured the string and discovered that I did not have the right size
replacement (I think it was a 15 1/2).  Since I had access to an
identical little used piano at the school, I borrowed the string from
it.  I now wonder what I could have done in the same situation had I not
had the other piano to scavenge from.  Then I wondered about what you
guys (the experts......) would have done.  I did have on hand sizes 15
and 16 wire.  Which could/should I have used.........and why (or why
not).

Tom Robinson
East Tennessee