Bending rims... sideline from Re: Plate Bushings

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 17:18:36 EDT

In a message dated 06/04/2000 12:44:28 PM Central Daylight Time,
JIMRPT@AOL.COM writes:

> David;
>   The "large piano shaped device" you see is a "jig" or form and it is
around

>  this "jig" that the rim is formed, or "pressed" if we take Rons view. :-)
>  There is no piano shaped "vise" or 'single' matching jig for the outside
of
>  the curved/flat sections. Rather there are a whole gobgillions of cauls
and
>  clamps.
>    I suppose you could say that the entire process was called "pressing"
but
>  it ain't done by a "press" per se.
>   Sorry bout your rain if y'all have had enpough...we could use a bunch of
it

>  down here though.
>  Jim Bryant (FL)

Exactly Jim,  they would have to pull the rim in close enough for the cauls
and clamps and "go bars," (for the lack of a better word) to be in position
to press the rim into shape.

I also think your definition of a press-1, "Any of various machines or
devices that apply pressure and create new forms or structural alignment."
describes this piano shaped device to a tee!

We are sending this rain your way, hope it helps with the wildfires.
Dave
DFW