String splicing

Paul S. Larudee larudee@pacbell.net
Sun, 04 Jun 2000 12:20:23 -0700

BobDavis88@AOL.COM wrote:

> In a message dated 06/02/2000 10:51:21 PM Pacific Daylight Time, Paul Larudee
> writes:
>
> > Never saw much need to splice anything but bass strings.
>
> Like almost everything else, splicing of plain wire is a tradeoff,
> appropriate in some circumstances and not in others. The big advantage is
> pitch stability. One recall and the tuning of the spliced wire is usually
> acceptable until the next regular tuning. With new wire, the pitch is not
> stable for years.

Bob,

I always wondered whether splicing would be more stable than new wire, what with
the splice tightening up and the small length of new wire.  I may give it a try.
I'm guessing that you are talking about breakage at the pin, or do you also let
wire off the other pin if the breakage is at the front bearing (capo or agraffe)?

Paul