Bending rims... sideline from Re: Plate Bushings

Kdivad@AOL.COM Kdivad@AOL.COM
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 12:38:53 EDT

In a message dated 06/04/2000 11:25:16 AM Central Daylight Time,
JIMRPT@AOL.COM writes:

>  It is possible that S&S wanted to keep the terminology very simple and,
>  without going into mind numbing detail, allow some glimpse into the making
> of
>  their rims. In the book, Steinway and Sons, there is a series of pictures
>  that show quite clearly the rim building process..sans "vise"..sans
"press"
>  but with lots of "clamps", "cauls" and men.
>
>   Hey if I turn out to be wr.... er, mista......not correct, it will still
be

>  a beatiful day here. :-)

Well it is wet and miserable here today so I have got nothing to lose.  In my
mind (as simple as it is) I think I would call any large shaped device (in
this case piano shaped) used to apply pressure over a large area a press.
That was the impression I got from Steinway's web page.

Maybe the "piano shaped device" will not open far enough to start bending the
rim laminations?

Vise,  clamp perhaps it is semantics:-)

David Koelzer
Associate Member