help please...

Greg Newell gnewell@EN.COM
Sun, 04 Jun 2000 01:38:18 -0400

Terry,
    The spinet with the hard to remove old elbows should get new center pins.
Press the old ones out and the new ones in. This can be done without taking the
action apart if your careful. I make a piece of wood wide enough to bridge the
gap between the two "ears" of the wippen and hold it there while inserting the
new pin. That saves them from cracking. Needing to do this is quite rare for me.
I always seem to be able to nibble the old plastic out. BTW heating the rod is
for installation NOT removal.
    The Yamaha needs new hammer flanges. They're cheap ($25 from Yamaha) and
really easy to install. When the new set comes check the pinning of the new
flanges and then install by just screwing them in place. You'll understand when
you see it. Traveling is usually minimal. This is like the elbow job in that
onsey twosey doesn't pay off in the long run for the customer. The thread isn't
just weak on a couple flanges. Sooner or later they'll all fail.
    Hope this helps.

Greg Newell