Upright Action

Sat, 3 Jun 2000 08:48:40 -0700

Tony,

This was probably the Saito action.  Mr Saito developed several =
interesting variations on the upright action theme and one of them was a =
relatively simple una corda system.  It consisted basically of a =
separate rail holding the damper flanges with the dampers being actuated =
by lift lever/wire mechanism similar to that found on the grand.  I =
briefly examined a model a few years back and would like to have pursued =
it further but the company I worked for at the time was not at all =
interested.

I'm not sure the Saito company is still in business.  I recall that the =
guiding light of the company was the elderly gentleman I was =
corresponding with who I think died not all that long later.  If it is =
no longer around it is the piano industry's loss.  There are precious =
few innovative thinkers actively working on the piano action -- grand or =
upright -- we need all of them.

Somewhere in my records I probably have there address from the 1980s.  =
If you really need it I can probably find it somewhere.

Del

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Tony Caught=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: June 03, 2000 1:28 AM
  Subject: Upright Action

  Hi List

  I think it was Tokai, a Japanese piano that came out with a 'una =
corda' system in their action in upright  that has the same function as =
the grand piano, that is the hammers move sideways to hit less strings.

  If anyone has or knows where I can get a diagram of this system it =
would be mushily appreciated.

  Tony Caught ICPTG Australia
  caute@optusnet.com.au