What kind of action

JWyatt1492@AOL.COM JWyatt1492@AOL.COM
Sat, 3 Jun 2000 10:00:40 EDT

Hello John:

   The Action you are referring too is indeed a
Wood-Brooks 90 degree action. These actions
were found mostly in Story&Clark and Everett
Pianos.  However they were also used in other
pianos.  In 1947 or 1948  The store that I worked
at bought these actions in "Shoninger" pianos.
     At that time I was young and brain-washable
and thought  factories technicians knew all and
would always tell the truth. So I believed them
when they said that the W-D 90 action was God, s
gift to upright pianos. You can guess the rest.
    Their weakness seemed to be  let-off and
check.  I think if this action had been bigger in
would have worked.  Then to have make it a true
double repeating action would have been
a fairly simple matter.
      Other than this effort The Wood- Brooks built
very good actions. The most popular was the SIS
model found in Wurlitzer and other Spinets. And you
 have to give them credit for trying  something new
with the  W-D-90. They must have spent a lot of
money developing this action.

      In the 1970 June and July issues of the PTG Journal
you will find an article on regulation of this action written
by John Galt  who was our Technical Editor at that time.

       The PTG Foundation will be displaying a model
of this action in the " Tidewater " room on the second
floor at our National Convention in July.

      Hope this helps,
      Jack Wyatt