cybertuner

Brian Trout btrout@desupernet.net
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 18:13:39 -0400

Hi Les,

I'm using TuneLab, but it's the same predicament, where to put the laptop.

It depends on the piano, and what it's surroundings are like.

If there's room, I set it on the top of pinblock.  At times, depending upon
how easy the lid hinge pins come out, it can be pretty easy to just take the
lid off.

If that doesn't work, sometimes there's a nice flat spot where the bottom of
the music sets, I can't think of the name of that board.

If I have to disassemble it most of the way down to the tops of the keys
anyway, I'll set it there, and move it according to where I'm tuning, moving
it as it gets in the way.

Next option is usually either the bench, or another piece of furniture
that's close enough to be useful.

Something that is sometimes helpful to me is peripheral vision.  I am able
to see what TuneLab is doing without looking directly at the computer screen
for most of the piano. (I haven't used Cybertuner, so I can't speak for it.)
The auto next note function (whatever it's called) is also useful if you
aren't close enough to reach out and touch something.  I've had it 4 or 5
feet away at times and had no trouble to speak of with most of the tuning.
In my own case, the computer screen makes my eyes tired, and it is more
comfortable for me to be looking slightly away from the screen most of the
tuning time, perhaps taking a direct glance or two when I think I'm there.

And of course there's always the option of shutting the computer down and
tuning by ear.  I'm becoming more comfortable with this option as I gain
experience.  Most of the time when I'm using the laptop, I'll go back and
retune a few notes by ear anyway, ones that don't quite suit me.  Having
used the computer for a while has helped me to be a better listener.  Kind
of strange what you pick up when you don't HAVE to listen.  Ironic.

Where there's a will, there's a way.  I guess if a guy is desperate enough,
on the floor in front of you would do in a pinch.

Happy tuning.  :-)

Brian Trout
Quarryville, PA
btrout@desupernet.net