Free estimates

JIMRPT@AOL.COM JIMRPT@AOL.COM
Fri, 2 Jun 2000 08:01:38 EDT

In a message dated 6/02/2000 7:21:47 AM, Clyde wrote:

<<"Do those of you who rebuild pianos give free estimates?">>

Clyde;
 I don't give anything free except smiles, kind words and occasionally
advice/opinions :-)  I charge the equivalent of a tuning fee for all
estimates. During an estimating trip if they want the piano tuned I will not
charge for the tuning..cause they are already paying for it and I can make my
estimate while tuning. On an 'estimate' call I never leave the customer with
anything in writing except the bill for the estimate.  When I get back to the
shop I will fill out a formal quote/estimate with all suggested work fully
described and with any notations or alternatives included. I send a copy of
this to the customer, keep a copy for myself.....thus precluding and holding
any "I Thoughts" "I Understoods" "But You Saids" in abeyance. :-)  My quotes
are good for sixty days only and include a credit for the estimate fee in
some cases.

  All we have to sell is our time and if we don't get paid for it, and give
value for what we charge, we are shortchanging ourselves and our
customers..but that is just my opinion, perhaps others will feel differently.
Jim Bryant (FL)