Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Ward & Probst wardprobst@cst.net
Thu, 1 Jun 2000 20:23:59 -0500

Jill,
There was a tech here who swore by metal sleeve bushings and for years I
have been swearing at them. The sandpaper/abrasive cloth works very well, to
keep the coil or becket from breaking as you lower tension either pull on
the string or just pound the heck out of it with the action. CA will work on
pinblocks that have had PBR applied also. The best fix would be a new block
but I'm guessing that's not in the cards. :>)
Best,
Dale

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Jill Kennon
Sent: Monday, May 29, 2000 11:45 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Thanks for the feedback. The piano is one that has been PBR'd (works well in
this desert) but still has some loose pins. The pinblock
was checked beforehand by removing some pins and shinning a flashlight in
the holes. It's not separating.
Another tech showed me one of those metal sleeve bushings so I thought I'd
check out the list's wisdom on it.
With all of your info, I figure that after pounding the pins in, the ones
that are still loose will get either bigger pins or sandpaper.
Thanks,
Jill