Plate Bushings - was Re: Bushing vs. bigger pin?

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Thu, 01 Jun 2000 16:56:38 -0500

Hi Gang,

I threw that last post together in about six pieces, from late night to
early morning before coffee, between tunings, during lunch, and among a
half dozen phone calls.

Having read it again, after posting it (naturally), I thought I'd make this
offer: If anyone is interested in the logic I was trying to convey, but
failed so thoroughly at, and didn't figure it out in spite of my idiot
ramblings, I'll take the time to attempt to put it back together in a less
random and disjointed format. As for those who weren't, and still aren't
interested - I understand.

PS: I tuned a three year old S&S D today @ 70% RH, last tuned in January @
36% RH. High bass was +.04, low tenor +.06, mid tenor +.01, low treble
-.06, high treble -? (barely). Virtually all the tuning pins were riding
the plate. Looking down the side of the pins, closest to the keys, you
could see what looked to be about 5 or 6 mm down into the hole in the block
where the pins had been pulled forward by string tension. Steinway makes a
good pinblock, and this is just what happens with a quartersawn maple block
with no plate bushings. It's not remotely unusual. Pin torque was just
fine, and it tuned as expected. No surprises, no problems, no hint of
tuning instabilities not directly humidity related -- and it sure wasn't
bad at that, considering a 34% RH increase since the last tuning.

Incidentally, that's another thumb for Don's list.  <G>

Ron N