Tuning pin tightener

Brian Holden bholden@wave.co.nz
Mon, 31 Jan 2000 20:25:34 +1300

A couple of weeks ago I told the Forum I was about to carry out pin =
tightening job on an old English upright, using some Pacpin solution (ex =
Pacific Piano Supply).  I've had the bottle lying around for years.  =
Fitting a complete set of oversize pins was out of the question.  The =
advice I got from various techs ranged from "go on, do it" through "wait =
for the humidity to change" to "don't do it!!".  Well, after considering =
the pros and cons I put the beast on its back and injected the stuff =
into each pin bushing - two applications over one week.  I have just =
come away from tuning the piano (2x) this morning and the result is =
remarkable.  The pins held well without any jumping during the tuning.  =
I always look at quick fix methods with some skepticism, but it seemed =
(and ultimately proved) to be the right thing to do in this instance.  =
The customer is delighted - and so am I!

Brian Holden=20