Europiano Congress 2000

Sun, 30 Jan 2000 20:46:45 -0800

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Sergio Brunello=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: January 24, 2094 4:13 PM
  Subject: Europiano Congress 2000

  Dear list,
  =20
  We wish to inform about the European piano technician associations =
Convention that will be from 28 May to 3 June in Italy.
  =20
  For more information see the following web page:
  =20
  www.ciresafiemme.it/Europiano/Default.htm
  =20
  The technical classes detail will be update as soon as possible. =20
  We beg to communicate this event to everyone (technician, musician =
etc.) that could be interest for.
  =20
  You are all welcome.
  =20
  Best regards=20
  =20
  Eurocongress technical committee President
                 Sergio Brunello
                  Treviso. Italy
                serbrunello@iol.it

-----

  =20
  The Conference Sergio speaks of is being held in the Val de Femme in =
the Italian Alps. If there is any way you can attend this conference, I =
would encourage you to do so. It will be a most memorable experience.

  As some of you know, I was invited to speak at the Italian AIARP =
Conference in Osimo (a beautiful old city near the central Italian =
Adriatic coast) this past September. My wife, Barbara, and I have many =
fond memories of that Conference and of the more than one hundred =
wonderful technicians who attended the Conference. The Conference itself =
lasted three and a half days of straight lecture which, by itself, says =
something for the stamina of the Italian piano technician!=20

  After the Conference we were treated to a whirlwind tour of Northern =
Italy by Sergio Brunello, courtesy of the AIARP. We visited the =
incredible Frasassi Caves in the Marche Province, the Schulze-Pollmann =
piano factory, the Fazioli piano factory, the Ciresa soundboard factory =
in the magnificent Val di Fiemme and, of course, Venice. All of this was =
carefully monitored by frequent phone calls from Luciano del Rio, the =
AIARP president. (I think all Italians are issued a cell phone at =
birth.) Luciano constantly checked on our progress and made sure we were =
in good hands. We were. Sergio and his wife, Paula, were wonderful hosts =
and Sergio proved to be an excellent tour guide.

  These people were wonderful. We were treated like royalty throughout =
the entire trip. The conference was run smoothly and competently which =
says a lot for the organizational skills of Luciano del Rio. My class =
notes were Emailed to Sergio steadily through the summer. With the help =
of his crew, he translated them all into Italian. Translation of the =
actual classes was done by Valerio Sabatini of Rome. Valerio and I met =
for the first time the day before the lectures began. He had no idea of =
how I was going to present the lectures or my manner of speech. He is =
not a professional translator, he is a piano technician. However, from =
the feedback I got from several other technicians in the audience who =
also spoke both Italian and English, he did an excellent job.=20

  We had never been to Italy prior to this trip. Of course, we expected =
to see a beautiful country, and we did. We also expected to find great =
food, and, again, we did. (How do those Italians manage to stay so =
slim?) The real beauty of Italy, however, is to be found in the hearts =
of its people. Without exception the people we met in Italy were warm =
and gracious and it is they, even more than the beauty of the country, =
the art or the architecture, that we will long cherish.

  All of this is to say that if you get a chance to make this trip, by =
all means do so. Don't worry if you don't speak Italian. You will get by =
just fine. If words fail you can always talk with your hands-they will =
think you are a native Italian! Besides, I understand there will be =
translators for the actual classes.

  The location of this Conference is in the Val de Fiemme which contains =
one of the oldest managed forests in the world today. It was set aside =
for continuous, sustainable yield forestry practices in the year 1111 =
and is now only one of two European forests to earn awards for its =
forest management. This valley is incredibly beautiful and peaceful and =
would be worth the trip even without the Europiano Conference. That will =
just be frosting on the cake.