Mason & Risch question

Doug Mahard nlm@csu.cted.net
Sun, 30 Jan 2000 08:28:06 -0500

----- Original Message -----
From: John M. Formsma <jformsma@dixie-net.com>
To: PianoTech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 30, 2000 12:05 AM
Subject: Mason & Risch question

> List,
>
> I have a friend with a 1906 Mason & Risch upright player.  According to
her,
> the case was designed by Gustav Stickley (maybe Stichle), and she wondered
> if the piano would be valuable because of the case.  Apparently, this
> designer's furniture commands a good price these days.  I have zero
> knowledge of any antique value of piano cases--does anyone out there know
> how to estimate the worth of this thing if it is a Stickley?  My friend
also
> mentioned it was "mission" furniture, or something like that.
>
> The player has only the bellows, and not the action, so that much is no
> good, right?  The piano looks like it was once a quality piano, and has
> agraffes in all the treble.  The soundboard looks OK from what I could
tell,
> and the tone is decent, I suppose.  If restored, it would need a new
block,
> strings, action, etc.
>
> I suppose that what I really need to know is if the case is valuable as a
> piece of Stickley furniture, and would merit a complete restoration of the
> piano.
>
> Thanks much,
>
> John Formsma
> Blue Mountain, MS

Hi John,

Gustav Stickley did design and build "mission style" furniture.  His
original pieces command a high price.  I would ask a Gustav Stickley
knowledgeable antique dealer in your area if they knew of any pianos he was
commissioned to build or design.  Depending on what the antique dealer says
it may be worth it to have them come out and do a closer inspection to
determine Gustav authenticity.

You may want to check your local library for books on Stickley.

I would be surprised if this piano was truly a Stickley original.  The
mission style of the case can be construed as a "Stickley design" because he
is noted for this style.

I would be interested in what you find.

Doug Mahard, Associate