Refinishing Problem

Sat, 29 Jan 2000 23:39:19 -0500

HI Terry -

I have been using Enduro for some time now, and use an Accuspray gun, as
well.  However, I use a compressor to power my gun instead of a turbine,
so I use the so called "conversion" gun (Accuspray Model 10).

At any rate, I have sprayed their Poly quite often, and have used the
.043 nozzle with the # 9 cap, as you indicated.   I switched over to a #
7 cap about a year ago, for better atomization.  The differences are not
dramatic, but they are tangible.

I would recommend solving your problem this way:  definitely spray
thinner coats.  It's visually more deceiving with the water-based than it
was with the old nitro.  A proper coat tends to "look" like it needs more
material, but it doesn't.  If you are applying coats that look really
wet, then they are too heavy.  The only times I have had trouble with
water-based stuff is when I got too heavy.  Also, you might try adding
about 5% water to the finish.  This will help flow-out a bit.  They very
well may have a flo-out additive, or a retarder of some type, but I have
never needed it, so I'm not sure.

I'm assuming, of course, that there is no problems with contaminants on
the wood, and that there is an adequate mechanical bond available for the
poly.  What are you spraying it onto?  A sealer?  Shellac?  Itself?  Poly
can be finicky in what it adheres to, and how well.  In all likelihood,
thinner coats will solve your problem.

If you continue to have problems, you might try contacting Enduro, or go
straight to Mark Ellis, their seminar guy.  He is quite knowledgeable
about their products, and is very helpful.  You probably have Enduro's #.
 Call them to see if they can help;  if you don't feel they are solving
your problem, ask them for Mark's #.....  I'm sure he can coach you thru
it.

BTW, the last job I did I used a finish by Target Coatings called "Oxford
Hybrid Varnish".  It's a water-based urethane that somehow includes a
modified tung oil, and had the warmest look of any WB finish I have seen
to date.  I sprayed it, but I am told that it brushes on like a dream.
If you are at all interested, check out www.targetcoatings.com

Mark Potter
bases-loaded@juno.com