Lower Back Pain !

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:50:16 -0500

>I didn't realize how much bending over you have to do to rebuild pianos !!
>Typically I will spend 8 to 10 hrs a day when I'm rebuilding a piano or reed
>organ.  I feel like my lower back has been hit with a 4 x 4.  Does anybody
>have hints on preventing the strain?
>
>Michael in Orlando

Hi Michael,
You might look into Iyengar Yoga. Don't worry about any flaky new age
trappings; the important thing is that it's posture yoga, with the real
world benefit of making your body more flexible & balanced. You'll learn to
*not* do the stupid things that can wreck your lower back.
That said, I only stuck with it for 1.5 yr. after really messing up my back.
Use your knees, don't bend at the waist.
Apply ice in the 1st 24 hr. of messing up your back, heat for long term
relief. Iboprufin or asprin also help with the inflammation.

Good luck,

Patrick