Steinway value?

J Patrick Draine draine@mediaone.net
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 15:48:38 -0500

>List, (especially Canadian's)
>
>Steinway L,  circa 1904
>original washed out, faded mahogony..veneer fair shape.
>needs a soundboard, pinblock, and action rebuild.
>very worn, and well used piano
>
>I have to do a rebuilding estimate and appraisal of this piano on Monday.
>
>Would anybody who has significant experience with this type of piano, hazard
>an "as is" appraisal value ?  ...Not pie in the sky, but what a good
>rebuilding shop would be normally willing to part with to aquire this sort
>of 'used-to-be-musical instrument.'
>
>Thanks,
>Owen (Southern Ontario in Canada)

I think this is an interesting thread that all of us should "jump in on",
offering our individual (either well or ill informed) take on this
scenario. I'll preface my comments by saying that I am a "field
technician", not buying and selling pianos, and not rebuilding them either.
The Internet Economy has hit big around here, and folks with bucks have
been buying rebuilt Steinways like never before.
>From what I've seen, this piano could easily go for $7-8,000 USD around
here. That's an awful lot for a piano that will be completely
remanufactured, but that's my take on the local supply and demand. I'm sure
prices will vary according to locale, but I'm also interested in hearing
from folks in the New England area to see if my figure is way off or on
target.

Patrick Draine
Billerica, MA