Tunelab question?

Robert Scott rscott@wwnet.net
Sat, 29 Jan 2000 09:25:13 -0500

Brian Trout asks:

When I measure the inharmonicity of the 5 or so notes I need to use the
Calcul8 program, and hit "Calculate", it produces what the mathematics
consider to be a good tuning.  (Sometimes it's better than others.)  I am in
the habit of going to the graphic tuning editor immediately after using the
calculate function just to get an idea of what it has done, and see if I
want to do a bit of tweaking.

What I noticed is that instead of a smooth sort of "S" shaped curve like one
might anticipate, it looks more like a modified "saw tooth wave".  I had
noticed in an advertisement for one of the new Peterson tuners a graphic
representation of a tuning and did notice a very smooth curve, not the "saw
tooth type" that the Tunelab tends to produce.
<<<<<<<<<

Brian, this is really a "Calcul8" question, not a TuneLab question.
As some of you may know, David Porritt, with a little assistance from
me, has developed Calcul8 as a plug-in to TuneLab.  I do not know the
internals of Calcul8 or how he comes up with a tuning curve.  All that
TuneLab itself does when you select the "Calculate" function (assuming
you have installed David's plug-in) is send the current table of
inharmonicity readings to the plug-in program and then receive back
a tuning curve.  How that plug-in program develops a tuning curve is
totally up to the one who writes the plug-in program.  All that TuneLab
has built-in is the graphical tuning editor which is manual, not
automatic.

But I designed TuneLab to have the capability to interface with
plug-in programs on purpose.  I did not want to be the sole source
for what TuneLab can do.  All the tools that I developed for David
Porritt to use in hooking up his Calcul8 program to TuneLab are
available on my web site (www.wwnet.net/~rscott) under
"for Programmers Only". If anyone out there has some programming
skill in DOS or Windows in any programming language whatsoever,
you too can write a plug-in for TuneLab.  You just have to have
some idea about how you would generate a tuning curve from a table
of inharmonicities.  I would be glad to offer assistance in using
the plug-in tools on my web site.

-Robert Scott