Baldwin SF

Charles E Faulk cfaulk2@juno.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 13:11:19 -0600

Maybe I can answer this since I was there in 1976. Harold Conklin  built
the first prototype SD-10 in the late 1960's (1968 I think). At that time
he mandated the used of Renner actions in the SD's. He later redesigned
the SF in 1971 and specified Renner parts in that scale as well.

There was never any choice between the domestic action or the Renner.
It's was always Renner. I left  Baldwin in 1987. Things might have
changed since then.

The SF-10 is truly a wonderful scale. My personal piano is an SF I put
together "with a little help from my friends" in 1977. It is unique in
many ways, so unique in fact that the plant manager told me that Baldwin
may not honor its warranty ... I think he might have been joking.

Charles Faulk, RPT
Manhattan, Ks

On Thu, 27 Jan 2000 21:41:09 -0800 Tom Cole <tcole@cruzio.com> writes:
> Today, I inspected an ebony Baldwin SF (85"), 1976 and noticed the
> Renner sticker on the hammer rail. The owner would like to know how
> it
> happens to have a German action. Did the factory use Renner actions
> circa '76?
>
> This is a very nice piano and it's for sale, if you know of any
> interested parties.
>
> --
> Thomas A. Cole, RPT
> Santa Cruz, CA