pitch changes in long sustain

Ron Nossaman RNossaman@KSCABLE.com
Fri, 28 Jan 2000 11:57:17 -0600

>	I am wondering why this did not come up in the experiments of
>Young and Schuck. ("Observations on the Vibrations of Piano
>Strings" JASA Vol 15, No 1, July, 1943)  Perhaps their instruments
>were not sensitive enough in 1943?

It may very well have come up. Mentioning anything in writing outside the
scope of the narrowly focused point of the article will only confuse the
readers and detract from the intent of the article (or discussion). That's
one of the points I tried to make earlier. I expect their instrumentation
was quite up to the task, but they couldn't write everything they knew on
the subject in the allotted space. Just because it wasn't mentioned doesn't
mean it wasn't known, so the inference can't be reasonably made.

Ron N