What we charge?

Billbrpt@AOL.COM Billbrpt@AOL.COM
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 23:35:42 EST

In a message dated 1/27/00 6:34:24 PM Pacific Standard Time, Terry Peterson
writes:

<< > I have NEVER heard of charging "tax" on a tuning, which is usually ALL
 labor. I know that there would maybe be tax on parts, if needed, but labor?
 Is labor tax charged only in certain states? Of course, i am a newbie
 tuner/tech, so maybe I am just unaware of this matter. I know that in MOST
 cases, there is NO tax on labor; is piano tuning labor an exception?

 > Terry Peterson
 > "RPT in Training"
 > LA, CA >>

I had never heard of it either coming from the same place as you 24 years
ago.  The first year I was in business, I charged no tax in Wisconsin and was
given an assessment for 4% of all of my gross earnings, early the next year.
In Wisconsin, and in the county where I live, the sales tax is now 5.5%.
"Piano Tuning", meaning virtually anything a piano technician does, is a
taxable service.

Although any merchandise would be taxable in any business, things like
lawyer's fees, haircutting/styling, and what is called "labor" in auto shops
is not.  But somehow, our state legislature decided that what piano
technicians do should be taxed, and so it is.

I learned the hard way that you had better be sure about the law in your
area.  Ask a practicing RPT in your area what the policy is and if you have
to collect tax, how to get set up to do it.

Sincerely,

Bill Bremmer RPT
Madison, Wisconsin