What we charge?

Wimblees@AOL.COM Wimblees@AOL.COM
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 18:56:30 EST

In a message dated 1/27/00 9:46:08 PM !!!First Boot!!!, staytuned@idirect.com
writes:

<< I say base your charge on experience, demand, professional affiliation,
expenses and local economy. Hundred dollar tunings may not fly in Humboldt
but will in New York. Then again, maybe there are no tuners within a hundred
miles of Humboldt, in which case it's a dollar a mile and a dollar a cent. >>

Why is your friend and competitor not able to charge more for his work? Is he
that unsure of his ability, or is he so bad, that people won't pay more for
his service? I don't expect you to drop your price, but why not encourage him
to learn more, so that he can raise his? Or to put it another way, are you
being looked at as being the "Gouger," Dave was talking about?

If there are no tuners within a hundred miles, does that give you the right
to "rip off" your customers? This is where the whole thread got started, when
Dave asked why a piano tech making $75,000 is considered gouging the public.
Experience will get you to the point of being able to make a good living. It
doesn't give you the right to over charge for your work.

Wim