Hammer Boring Question - Mehlin Grand

David Skolnik skolnik@ibm.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 17:25:40 -0500

List -
On a Mehlin grand I have measured the string height in the middle at 8
3/16". The hammer flange center pin is 6 11/16".  the difference is 1 1/2",
however, the hammers being replaced measure
1 15/16", almost 1/2" longer than theoretically correct.  The appear to be
original.  In the piano they appear to understrike only slightly.

At this point I believe the action will regulate with these dimensions, so,
for now I am only asking whether there is there any reason why Mehlin (or
anyone else) would have intentionally  designed the action in this way?
It's not my math, is it?

Thanks
David Skolnik
600 West 111th St. 13D