Precision Strobe Tuner

Richard Brekne richardb@c2i.net
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 22:12:02 +0100

Michel Lachance wrote:

> Concerning ETD devices, there are so many different techologies available
> that one cannot say "you've heard one, you've heard them all!".  Mentionning
> for example that ETD users have to manually tweak the treble shows that you
> may not know exactly how RCT program works and, most of all, may not have
> heard how a RCT tuning sounds in real life.  With the program, you can
> custom tweak your curve (any part it actually) up to an outrageous rate if
> you want.  If you only have a theoratical idea of RCT and put it in the same
> basket as some early ETD's, I think you don't shoot the right target.

I didnt say treble.. but if I had to say anything I would say Bass.. and
as far
as tweaking by experienced users.. I just am reporting what I have read
on this
list, and what makes sense about inharmonicity in general. The only way
an ETD
can know about the inharmonicity problems with each and every string is
to first
sample each and every string. Now we all know that in spite of this..
RCT and
SAT do an extremely good job of it. But there is no sampling of 5 or 6
notes can
result in a curve that solves every problem for every scale on every
piano.. In
fact most pianos will require the use of the ear for at least a few
notes.

> >Dont get me wrong.. I like ETD's.. but for what they can teach me.. not for
> >their ability to decide what a good tuning is or isnt. In the end a good
> >tuning
> >is the result of a good portion of skill, knowledge and subjectivity...
> >with
> >accent on the last. Puters dont have that last ability and no amount of
> >programing is going to teach them that.
>
> Good ETD devices are not the opposition of aural tuning.  When you record
> you own aural tuning on RCT for example, you DO an aural tuning with the
> machine.  You can even do it with a vacuum cleaner running next to you!

I never said that ETD devices are in opposition to aural tunings. And I
am not
sure what kind of an aural tuning you are talking about with a vacume
cleaner..
But I'd like to see a tuner useing just his ears and sense for beats
hear
through a vacume tuner. If you are refereing to direct partial
referencing..
that is not really quite the same as an aural tuning. close... perhaps..
but no
cigar.. In any case the jist of my argumentation here is to simply point
out
that ETD can and often enough are used as a pillow instead of a tool,,
and thats
understandable enough.

> >A little Korg auto tuner works just as well for a pitch raise.. if you are
> >able
> >to figure out in your head how much to raise.. which is no problem.
>
> I STRONGLY disagree here.  If you would pitch raise a piano with a simple
> ETD the way RCT does, here is what you would do:

Since the purpose of a pitch raise is simply to put the piano at the
proper
tension... (another thread going on this).. I fail to see the earth
shaking
advantages gained by any particular tool or method, as long as whatever
you as a
tuner use.. you do well. I cannot do a good pitch raise in 10 minutes..
I need
more like 20.. This has nothing to do with ETD's, my ears, or any such
thing. It
has strictly to do with my arm. I simply cannot move that fast without
getting
all kinds of pains in my back. Your description below (not included for
space
considerations) is interesting enough as far as it goes... but I have
often
enough achieved a 16 cent pitch raise with my ear with similiar
results.. its
just a matter of knowing how far to overstretch.. and honestly.. you
dont need a
puter to tell you that. Again.. it just takes the thinking out of the
game. Now
YOU may think anyways.. and if you do you can probably learn even MORE
with an
ETD.. But not everyone does. It has been noted by many that
inexperienced tuners
starting out with ETD's learn less about tuning in general then either
strictly
aural tuners or tuners who started out aurally. There was a thread not
long ago
what talked about this in relation to RPT testing.

Micheal... just because there are many things "right" about ETD's doesnt
mean
that each of them in their own way dont also have pitfalls. I see no
point in
looking only at the good that these do while ignoring some of the
potential and
real problems they create. And as I said before, the whole idea of
logrithmically calculated theoretically correct tuning curves
superimposed on an
everything but perfect system of harmonics is not a resolved issue. That
is a
discussion in its own right and as with most everything else there are
plenty of
Yings and Yangs on both sides. Like I said.. dont misunderstand me.. I
like
ETD's... its just that I am not a blind believer.

> This is lots of talking and sounds pretty complicated. Just forget all what
> I said and read this:
>

> Please, don't believe me.  Find someone who has RCT, sit with him at a badly
> out of tune piano and find out by yourself.  With all my regrets, this is
> the only way you may have a fair opinion of RCT.

I do have an RCT... use it quite a bit... need more experience before I
can or
cannot concur with your exhaltations of its capabilities, and like every
tool
figure I need time to get really really good at using it. Golly guy...
you'd
think I was attacking RCT or something.. I am not.. quite the oposite..
But like
I said..Ying and Yang.

> To come back with the initial issue.  I can understand people may like
> tuning so much that they may be disapointed, when pitch raising, of having
> the job done on right on the first pass.  For me, my time is valuable and if
> I can save 15 to 20 minutes on pre-tunings, I find really worth spending a
> bit more for a good ETD device.  For me, Precision Strobe Tuner does not
> fall that category.

Er.. the initial issue was a question posed in general about how good a
Precision Strobe Tuner is.. The fellow made no references to pitch
raise. I
simply said it depended on what he wanted to use it for.. and I still
do.

> Regards,
>
> Michel Lachance

All in good spirits, and in the persuit of furthering my own
knowledge...
grin...

Richard Brekne
I.C.P.T.G.  N.P.T.F.