Precision Strobe Tuner & Peterson

David Carpenter davidc@speedscan.com
Thu, 27 Jan 2000 09:04:10 -0600

I find the Peterson article "Why Use a Real Strobe Tuner" wholly inaccurate.
Its argument about the dead band problem and in-tune problem only applies to
the $25 pocket tuners, but not to LED or graphic strobe displays like the
Sanderson, Reyburn, etc. These devices work by detecting the cumulative
phase difference over time between a reference signal and the measured
signal. This is the same method employed by the Peterson, and produces no
dead band problem.

Dave Carpenter, RPT
Chicago

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-pianotech@ptg.org [mailto:owner-pianotech@ptg.org]On Behalf
Of Billpa440@AOL.COM
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2000 8:32 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: Re: Precision Strobe Tuner

Hi, Richard
I am not familiar with the Precision Strobe.  It sounds like you are
shopping
and getting information.  I would encourage you to check out the Peterson
Strobe. Web site www.PetersonTuners.com. On their page is an article about
"Why to Use a "Real" Strobe Tuner.  On it you will find that the LED system
is not as accurate as the "real" strobe image.  In this discussion someone
asked if the Strobe was any better at reading frequency of the string.  It
is
my understanding that it is hard for a computer to generate such an image as
the strobe pattern.  the LED lights have to have a on or off type of switch
as outlined in the above mention article.  My belief is the tradition Strobe
image is the most accurate.  Two tuning fork manufactures use the Peterson
set their tuning forks. I hope this helps and doesn't sound like a
commercial.  Bill Prindle