pitch raise time

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Wed, 26 Jan 2000 20:55:49 -0800

An even better reason for an EDT.  With full faith in the pitch
raise program, one pass will definitely be better than one pass
with the old fork.  In my humble opinion...; }

David I.

 The pianos are 15-25 cents high or low EVERY time they're tuned. Since they
> aren't interested in paying for pitch raises or lowerings twice a year, and
> I'm not interested in doing them for free, It's normally one pass - best
> shot. It's not generally feasible to float the pitch too much either,
> because some helpful soul always seems to have a guitar tuner handy to
> check out how the piano tuner did, so they have to be close enough for
> Country & Western (no offense Ed, entirely different venue). As a
> consequence, I've learned to produce a passably decent tuning, not what I
> would consider a first rate one, from a quarter semitone away in one pass.
> If I couldn't do it well enough to please them, they wouldn't use me, and
> all the school and church contracts I have serviced for five years or more
> have come about because the last (insert number) tuner/techs didn't make
> them happy. Believe me, I wish it were otherwise, but a pitch raise is
> usually only for newer pianos that have been neglected too long, or older
> pianos that have, well, been neglected way too long. Given a choice, I'd do
> the pitch raise/lowering and a second pass for an overall better tuning,
> but someone would have to pay for it, and someone would have to NOT turn
> off the air conditioner or heat and waste the effort within a week. If I do
> half of my tuning for free, I'll NEVER make as much as a plumber!
>
> Ron N

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA
ilvey@jps.net