Why

Jon Page jonpage@mediaone.net
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 23:27:58 -0500

At 10:44 PM 01/25/2000 -0500, you wrote:
>In a message dated 1/26/00 1:29:26 AM !!!First Boot!!!, dporritt@swbell.net
>writes:
>
><< Why is it that a salesman can make $150,000 per year and be called
> "successful".  A piano technician who makes half that is "gouging the
> public."
>
> Sorry!  I had an all-tuning day and that leaves me too much time to think!
>
> dave
>

> David M. Porritt >>
>
>Who said making $75,000 is called "gouging the public"?
>
>A salesman sells things. He sell as much as the public wants to buy, as long
>there are things to sell. Technicians, on the other hand, can only sell one
>thing, time. And if a technician works 10 hours a day, 6 days a week, 52
>weeks a year, and charges $50.00 per hour, then he can make $156,000 a year
>too.
>
>Wim

Wim. Do you pay your techs $50/hr?

Salzemen reaps the profits and the tech has to bear the burden.

Do you want to compare 'Schtick to Knowledge'?

Salezmen will tell you what you want to hear.
An independant tech will tell you what you don't want to hear.

Sales personel are overpaid, service personel are underpaid.
$$$ for the Store owner, customer satisfaction falls where it may.

What would happen if insentives were removed from the sales dept. to the
service dept?
?
?
?
?
?
?
Loss of sales. Unfortunately it's "Sell the sizzle, not the steak".

I raised my prices 30% anyways.

I'l be tuning less but enjoying it more.

Regards,

Jon Page,   piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@mediaone.net