ringing dampers

Cameron Jacobi harlip58@yahoo.com
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 10:26:10 -0800 (PST)

I recently tuned a very poor quality Hyundai grand
piano.  I have been servicing this particular
instrument for about five years now, and find that it
develops new inexplicable symptoms all the time - the
most recent is that the bass dampers, while
technically, fine(they are not worn out or out of
position) simply don't dampen the sound well, after
the notes are played.  When I press down on them with
my hand, the sound stops more effectively.  What can
be done about lousy dampers, in a generally lousy, but
fairly new instrument?