Loud Overtones From String

Tue, 25 Jan 2000 08:28:32 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: Jim Coleman, Sr. <pianotoo@imap2.asu.edu>
To: <JCSwafford@AOL.COM>
Cc: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Sent: January 24, 2000 9:09 PM
Subject: RE: Loud Overtones From String

> Hi JC:
>
> The most common source for these obnoxious sounds is the convergence of
> the longitudinal mode of vibration with a transverse mode of vibration.
> Bass strings are infamous for them and on the very best pianos. When
> these two modes of vibration nearly coincide, it causes a very high
> peak of energy at that approx. frequency. Voicing will not eliminate
> it. Only change to a different string configuration will change it.
> That is expensive, and you may just get a different high peak. The
> Baldwin patent on controlling longitudinal mode freqs. was a step in
> the right direction. As far as I know, they are not using those strings
> any longer because of the expense and lack of public appreciation.
>
> Jim Coleman, Sr.

There were a few practical problems with the SynchroTone scales.  Following
the principles closely required some rather odd jumps in core and wrap
diameters.  String tensions jumped all over the place, as did string
inharmonicity.  Most of the string breakage problems with Baldwin pianos
from this era were the result of excessively small core wires used on
certain notes to satisfy the demands of the SynchroTone formulas.

Del