in-the-home boring jig

Gatesfam6@AOL.COM Gatesfam6@AOL.COM
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 03:22:19 EST

Mark,
   I've found the best way to preserve the original boring in the hammer, or
hammer butt for that matter, is to extract it. I do this by drilling a small
pilot hole through the center of the broken shank. Then with a hypo-oiler I
inject the hole with a solution of water and wallpaper remover. I may inject
it once or twice depending on the saturation. I then screw in to the pilot
hole a drywall screw. As you heat up the screw with a butane lighter the heat
of the screw evaporates the solution turning it to steam, which in turn
liquefies the water soluble glue and allows you to extract the broken shank,
while preserving the original boring angle at the same time.
Regards,

Paul Gates RPT
Farmington, Ut