Unison coupling

Richard Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 02:41:32 -0600

Ron wrote...
> >tends to

ric wrote
> >I would like to see a reference to support this.

Ron ......
>Note the pitch in the first half second or so of the attack, and
> the drop in pitch as the note continues to sound.

ric...
I do not have a SAT.   If the SAT shows pitch in the first half
second  different from the pitch in the next 2 seconds and
different again from pitch in the next four seconds, that would
indeed be most interesting information.

 Ron ...
> * When I see articles like this, it is usually mentioned in the
text that
> the measurements are taken a couple of seconds into the sound
envelope,
> after everything has stabilized. Any mention of this in the
article?

ric....
A decrease in the frequency of the partials was not mentioned. They
did conduct experiments to study the amplitude of the partials from
0 time. I believe they were not able to record until a half a
second. You would have to read the article to determine exactly
what went on.

Ron...
> they would be concerned with measured partial frequencies
relative to the
> measured fundamental at any given point, wouldn't they. The pitch
drop most
> likely just wasn't mentioned so it wouldn't confuse the intent of
the
> article.

ric...
	From what I got out of the article if there were a pitch drop, it
would be a major concern.  They were trying to determing the
inharmonicity of partials.  If the freq of these partials
diminished over time I don't see how they could have missed this.
The Frequency of these was measured with a chromatic stroboscope,
what ever that is.

ric (earlier post)...
> >An interesting observation that goes contrary to what some say
> >today was that the method of striking the key did not influence
the
> >frequencies of the partials, "as it was found that variations in
> >the strength of the blow produced negligible effects on the
modal
> >frequencies, the key was struck manually."

Ron...
> * I don't have a clue one way or another. As an aural tuner, it
hasn't come up.

ric...
Same here. Nor has the decrease of frequency of a piano string over
time ever come up.

> >  If the frequency
> >really does lower in time, a strobe light should tell beyond all
> >doubt.
>
> * Or a SAT, RCT, Tunelab, Peterson, Conn, etc.

ric....
Tune lab does not show a significant decrease in frequency over
time.  Other wise with those moving bars it would be impossible to
accomplish a tuning.  The interesting thing about Tunelab is that
you can see how the movement of the bars is affected by .01 cents
or .1 cents, or .5 cents or 1 cent.    At .5 cents deviation they
are moving pretty fast.  At .1 cent they are moving fast enough to
make you wonder if the machine is really more sensitive than the
ear..... : (

Ron...
>, you're right that measured inharmonicity is suspect because the
ETD
> users report that it changes from measurement to measurement.

Which is why I would like to see it on an osciliscope.  At some
point an assesemt of accuracy in the actual recording of
frequencies should be made.  I assume something like this in in
JASA (Jouranal of The Acoustical Society of America).
In the few articles I read, it is interesting to see what and how
they made their measurements in the 30's 40's and 50's.
	Perhaps with the observations of Ron and others about frequency
shifts it might be time to repeat those experiments with today's
state of the art instruments.
After all that is the foundation of Science, confirmation through
experimentation. I have seen the Conn Stroboscope go first in one
direction and then backward.  Tunelab can be seen to do that also,
but less I think.  Each one has issues of accuracy that can be
analyzed and tested.

---ric