Convention promotion

John Lillico, RPT staytuned@idirect.com
Sun, 23 Jan 2000 01:21:07 -0500

Did you see Jim Coleman Sr.'s post of Fri, 21 Jan 2000 21:26:41 -0800 (PST). He states

"Hi John:

If I'm not mistaken, you are the same person who almost single-handedly
put on the great PTG Convention in Toronto a few years ago. Again if I'm
not mistaken, this was the year and place of largest Convention attendance of PTG history. I believe we had over 1200 in attendance that year. I remember your promotional stunt where you wore the Canadian Royal Mounted Uniform to conventions and conferences during the previous year. This got our attention.

Welcome to our list

Jim Coleman, Sr."

Jim, actually I believe it was 1,167 and most of the credit should go to Institute Director Dick Bittinger and the KC staff. The RCMP outfit I took to Las Vegas the year before was quite a novel idea of Toronto chapter member Ken Bryant, I freely distributed the Maple Leaf lapel pins, depicting our flag, wherever I happened to be leading up to Toronto in 1987. As is the custom for Host Chapter Chairs, I was also responsible for the Journal's promotional articles. The following has never come out before but, when I was researching an article on Toronto's public transportation system, I was riding up front in the subway and as we approached an east end station, a young man leaped into the front of the oncoming train. This suicide was tragic. It really shook me up.

The list will have a laugh though when they read that you and I spent some time behind a slightly ajar door in a dark washroom some 16 or 17 years ago. I was a CTE in training. Part of the training was to be able to quickly and accurately hold the light pattern on the SAT. Being colorblind, I couldn't see the red lights under the lights of the room. So I sat on the throne in the dark with you inside the door with your stopwatch, straining to see your needle. I passed!

It has been both beneficial and enjoyable for me to have been a member of the Piano Technicians Guild since (i think) 1968. My first convention was the only other Canadian Annual which was held in Calgary, Alberta.

My active days were most rewarding. Jim, you rekindled some fond memories. Thanks.

John Lillico, RPT,
Oakville, Ontario, Canada