sulfer vapors

Joe & Penny Goss imatunr@primenet.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 09:44:54 -0900

Hi,
This is a new one for me.
Called to tune a Kimball console about ten years old.
All bass strings had a blackish green mark where the hammer and damper =
felt contacted the string. Much darker and more build up than I have =
ever seen before.
In talking to the customer I believe that the strings are being corroded =
by an extreme amount of sulfer in the drinking water ( farm well ) used =
for a small household of six.
Another problem for the piano is the wood stove six feet away already =
causing bridge pin looseness! ARGG
Any damp chase would further the corosion problem if outside water were =
not used.
The corosion is so thick on the dampers that they all need to be =
replaced, and the crud removed from the hammers as well.
I see no solution to the problem untill a new sulferless source of water =
is found.
Joe Goss