Pitch drop at A4 ???

Don drose@dlcwest.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:26:59 -0600

Hi all,

I decided to take the time to measure a4 at various partial levels. The
piano was a Young Chang PG-185. A4 was tuned aurally to the limits of my
abilities. I measured the middle string and then the sum of the three
strings. Measurement device was Reyburn cyber tuner in *flat* mode--no
calculated tuning all partials set to zero. I used the measurement feature
and then *tweaked* it by 1/100 of one cent movements until I was to the
threshold of the 1/20 of a cent that that RCT is capable of. The piano had
just been pitch corrected and temperature was 21 degrees and humidity was
19%. Each measurement was performed 7 times in  a *rotation* (i.e a4 a5 e5
a6 c#7 e7 and then back to a4)and the *high* and *low* were tossed out as
spurious. The remaining 5 were averaged. I attempted to play the same
volume level at all times. The Pianalyser feature showed six partials for
this note, and would indicate a need for voicing. (too much fundimental,
not enough higher partials)

A4 at A4 no measurement difference. (0.06 cents flat of true)
A4 at a5 pitch was about .5 cents *higher* on the three string unison
a4 at e5 no measurement difference
a4 at a6 pitch was about .3 cents *lower* on the three string unison
a4 at c#7 no measurement difference
a4 at e7 pitch was about .1 cent *lower* on the three string unison

Humidity dropped to 18% by the end of the test period. Temperature remained
the same.

Regards,

drose@dlcwest.com
http://donrose.htmlplanet.com/