Kohller And Campbell click

Phil Bondi tito@PhilBondi.com
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 12:03:27 -0500

Roger:

> Not necessarily, you need to get that leather to stretch a little, it's not
> a cure, and just gives a reduction to the click. When it does seem to cure
> the problem, it will return a few years later, or sooner. Sound advice,
> change the knuckles.

If I get the ok to do it, I will

> A thought on the jack spoon button. older models had a green woven button
> felt. If it was changed with the same material, there is a good chance this
> is the cause of the returning click problem.

These were changed to a red felt which is spongy - this is not the cause as best
as I can see.

> If as you say, you checked for long tails, was it just a visual check for
> clearance? You need to tap down on the strike point of the hammer at rest
> and listen. Remember that the momentum of the returning hammer and shank
> will make it travel about 1/8" past the rest point. Depending on where the
> rest rail is set.

Understood.

> Many of these instruments had sluggish centre pin problems, if a previous
> tech has shrunk the bushing cloth with alcohol/water and hot air dried too
> aggressively, you may need to repin the whole works.

This was my original thought - Whippen Flanges, although it could be shank
flanges, too..right now it could be alot of things! .. I just need an ok to go
back and see exactly what the problem is - I could not get an OK from the dealer
at the time of my visit( a Seattle-based dealership ) and they have not contacted
me as of yet...and remember, this noise only appears right at rest, and it is not
the shank rest rail, cause it was removed...I was moving the keys up and down
very slowly with my finger at the key tail.

> We encountered one unit with jack springs that were too long, on the jack
> side, the end of the spring was ticking against the jack on return. Had to
> repin 88 jacks and trim 88 springs. Not a quick fix.

That's for sure.

> These pianos are going to be a Gold Mine for technicians, in the future,
> lots of time consuming problems, every cloud has a silver lining.

Can we get "Hazardous Duty Pay" for these problems?!?

Rook