Kohller And Campbell click

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 10:17:17 -0600

Hi Phil,
            Just to elaborate a few points,

>>            If this product is manufactured by Samick, a good bet, will be
>> the knuckles that is the causing the problem.
>
>I kinda have my doubts only because I did needle between the leather and
the felt
>on one of them - I did not do what you suggested with a darning needle, but I
>would think I would hear a reduction with a voicing needle...no?

Not necessarily, you need to get that leather to stretch a little, it's not
a cure, and just gives a reduction to the click. When it does seem to cure
the problem, it will return a few years later, or sooner. Sound advice,
change the knuckles.

>> Older models I think have Corfam for drop screw leather, another source of
>> clicks.

A thought on the jack spoon button. older models had a green woven button
felt. If it was changed with the same material, there is a good chance this
is the cause of the returning click problem.
Newer models have a soft red felt that is quite 'springy', and stays quiet.
I order the button felt from Baldwin, just so that I know the quality of
material that I am working with.

If as you say, you checked for long tails, was it just a visual check for
clearance? You need to tap down on the strike point of the hammer at rest
and listen. Remember that the momentum of the returning hammer and shank
will make it travel about 1/8" past the rest point. Depending on where the
rest rail is set.

Many of these instruments had sluggish centre pin problems, if a previous
tech has shrunk the bushing cloth with alcohol/water and hot air dried too
aggressively, you may need to repin the whole works.

We encountered one unit with jack springs that were too long, on the jack
side, the end of the spring was ticking against the jack on return. Had to
repin 88 jacks and trim 88 springs. Not a quick fix.

These pianos are going to be a Gold Mine for technicians, in the future,
lots of time consuming problems, every cloud has a silver lining.

Hope this some food for thought.
Roger

Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.