Freezing pianos/cracked plates

Terry Beckingham beckingt@mb.sympatico.ca
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 22:36:36 -0600 (CST)

Conrad,

Actually -21 F is about -29 C, so that's getting pretty cold.

Normally I wouldn't worry about the cold cracking a plate, but I have been
told by several who are knowledgeable about Dohertys that they have a
tendency to crack plates when the pitch is brought up too high. I'm sure
that the pitch will go way up with the drastic temperature change.

A new customer just had her piano delivered today and was advised by the
mover not to take the blankets off it for a couple of days to avoid the
frost problem.

Cheers

Terry Beckingham