Freezing pianos/cracked plates

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 21:25:34 -0600 (CST)

Terry,
At 19:15 01/21/2000 -0600, you wrote:
>Hi Gang,
>
>If I should sell this piano, what do you suppose the chances would be that
>the plate might crack during the move from my shop to the home of a new
>owner?

Don't worry there, Nanook, unless you slip on the ice.  The practice room
pianos at Aspen spend all year in unheated rooms and it certainly gets cold
there.  The only real problem comes if a window gets broken and snow fills
the room.

I also have seen 2 S&S Ds come off a truck and immediately turn white.  The
-25°F they had enjoyed overnight didn't faze them, I had fun keeping up with
the melting frost, though, and I didn't even try to tune them before they
were close to room temp.  (BTW, I guess the -21°F we had this morning
probably seems balmy to you, eh?)

Conrad Hoffsommer     mailto:hoffsoco@luther.edu

Chi si ferma è perduto.