mottos (was Re:[blank])

Susan Kline skline@proaxis.com
Fri, 21 Jan 2000 07:45:56 -0800

> >>From north of the 49th come (describing uprights); Cabinet Grand, Upright
>Grand, Grand Piano in Vertical Form, Illiminitable Repeating Action,
>Duofulcrum Keys, Bell Metal Tone, Tension Resonators and the motto of a
>manufacturer of barely mediocre quality, "Great is the Privilege of
>Achievement".
> >
> >Little wonder the public is so confused.
> >
> >John Lillico, RPT,
> >Oakville, Ontario, Canada

Brings back pleasant memories. The "Bell Metal Tone" was good, as I
remember it.
"Great is the Privilege of Achievement", if I remember correctly (after 20
years) came from the _very_ mediocre company who also put "Nulli Secundus"
on the fallboard just below their name. I used to translate that as meaning,
"None are second to it." <grin>

I just recently tuned a Heintzman short upright ... really more like a
console, from about 1967. Interesting to see that age of Heintzman, which
I never had before. As a console, it was extremely decent, though it had
some sluggish hammers and the lower bass strings were dull. Inside the
lid, I found them calling it a "Grand in Vertical Form."  They still
had the cast iron strut with holes for the strings to go through, which
seemed to work quite well. But, putting out a piano of that size, they
were already a shade of their former selves ... too bad.

John, I don't remember Duofulcrum keys ... can you tell me what brand
that was? And how did the keys have two fulcrums?

Susan Kline

P.S. Might as well add an appropriate subject ...