on average?

Roger C Hayden rchayden2@juno.com
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 22:12:50 -0800

OK, Terry,  here's a try.

On 13 Jan 2000 11:01:29 -0800 pianolover@worldspy.net writes:
> Hi all,
>
> I'm one of the new guys on this  list, and I'm LOVIN' it!  On
> average, if there is such a thing, roughly how many pianos are tuned
> in a given week (5day?) by tuner/techs?

I shoot for five per day, five days a week or any thing that earns me the
same amount.  5 x $65 x 5 or $1625 weekly.

>Also, if tuning is your
> primary service,

Yes primary service, but I also buy and sell and rebuild, so I earn at
the same level here at the shop/office/showroom in the large basement of
our home.

> (not re-buliding, major repairing, soundbard
> replacing, etc) what would you estimate to be your annual expenses,

Off hand, hard to tell until I do my taxes,  estimate the deductable
expenses at . .  $20 - 30,000  can't tell without getting out the
Schedule C's  Auto's a big one, mileage deduction is the best way to go,
if you drive good cars that don't need big fixes.  (Toyotas)  Also lots
of piano supplies. . .

> speaking in percentages of your income?

>I'm trying to get a general
> idea from a business perspective. ( I am not taking into
> consideration my initial cost of tools, supplies, ETD, etc, but
> annual upkeep,

Hmm.  that's asking for a lot of calculating.  We all should have some
handle on it but probably don't.

>cost of advertising etc.)

Yellow pages, say maybe 800 - 1200 annual.    however, word of mouth is
the best adv.  Do good work, make people happy, and they'll tell others.

> speaking in percentages of your income?

OK.  I'll try this.

Make a $1000
Throw out 15% to expenses    -150    leaving 850
Throw away 15% self emp tax    -150   leaving  700
Throw fay away Federal tax   15 - 20 %     -200   leaving 500
Throw down a pipe away local / state / real estate / school etc tax    5%
    -50    leaving  450
Throw away 6% tax every time you buy anything with what's left    - 60
leaving  390

You might have $300 - $400 dollars left to pay your mortgage, buy food,
clothing, heat, Taco Bell, and rent videos, and contribute to your
favorite charity, out of which all who recieve your $$, pay more taxes
again all to an incredible %%%%of  their income.

Now, figure out who we're working for!!

If all people wrote out a check every week for the amount of taxes taken
from the pay by payroll deduction, we'd have another revolution within
two months!!  And that's just the open taxes.  Add in the hidden taxes,
and discover that it really doesn't cost very much to live, when you
consider how well we live on what's left !

>I know there is not one
> across-the- board answer, but some ball park figures would sure help
> give me an idea. Thanks!
>
> Terry Peterson
> RPT In Training :^ )
> Los Angeles, CA