Thank's to Jim.B

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 19 Jan 2000 20:49:05 -0600

Greetings all,
                     In conversation with Jim.B. earlier this week, I
happened to mention that one of the jobs this week, was to repair a damper
guide rail.
I was more than mumbling under my breath, 2 guide rail holes had been
drilled directly under the adjacent note's first string.
I had intended to mark the correct position,remove the rail, plug the
holes, and drill new holes.
An adaptation of Jim's suggestion went as follows.
1. Remove the 2 dampers from the problem area.
2. Fit an extra wide wedge between the 2 notes strings to gain some working
room.
3. Drill out old bushing.
4. 2" length of vertical hammer shank chucked in the portable drill, I
turned it down to just fit snugly into the rail hole.
5. Split the shank down though the grain.
6. Cut and taper the bushing felt to size, using the existing hole to check
for fit with damper wire.
7. Elongate the hole carefully with with a small round file.
8. Dry fit the hammer shank half, and bushing cloth.
9. Sand down the flat of the shank for a tight fit, with the damper wire in
place.
10. Apply a little glue to the hole, and the top 1/2" of the felt and shank
, install into bushing hole. INsert wire and go for lunch.

Once all was dry, I trimmed with a single sided razor,and burnished for
free travel of the wire.
Sounds complicated but it only took 1 1/2hrs dampers re installed and
timed. Lunch not included.

Thank's Jim, you saved me a lot of grief.
Roger
Roger Jolly
Saskatoon, Canada.
306-665-0213