Piano Needing to be Buffed/Revarnished

Wed, 19 Jan 2000 19:06:26 -0500

On Mon, 17 Jan 2000 11:04:33 EST "Asbel Jonathan Corrales"
<ajthepianoman@hotmail.com> writes:
> I have a spinet that I needs to be cleaned and buffed or revarnished.
>  Any
> suggestions?
>
> Thanks.  A.J.

Hi A.J. -

I'm afraid that without looking at it I can only throw out a few ideas
for you to ponder.  There are many ways to clean finishes; different
conditions call for different approaches, and different people prefer
different methods.  With THAT out of the way.....

First I would clean all the surfaces in question with naptha (or mineral
spirits, if you prefer).  You will want plenty of ventilation, and use
plenty of clean rags/paper towels to wipe clean and dry.

If there seems to be plenty of finish everywhere, just uneven in sheen,
or with slight blemishes, you can try gently rubbing it out.  You can
either try some rubbing compounds from an automotive store on a damp
cloth or use 4/0 steel wool with wool lube or other lubricant (mineral
oil, parafin oil).  Always go with the grain whenever possible, and use
even pressure with long, straight strokes.  Wipe dry with rags or paper
towels.  If you are lucky, you are done.  If not, touch-up and spot
finishing, or total refinishing will be necessary.

Touch-up and spot finishing is an art, and requires much practice and
training to become expert at it.  There ARE quite a few products out
there proclaiming to be finish restorers or blemish removers or antique
improvers, etc....  Elixirs can be concocted that will be more agressive
than plain naptha or mineral spirits by adding denatured alcohol.  I know
a conservator that uses a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and denatured
alcohol.  Careful though, testing in an inconspicuous area first is
advised!

If after rubbing it out thoroughly the finish still looks bad or damaged,
in all likelihood a total refinish job is in order.  Putting new varnish
over an old  finish with lots of visible blemishes will look like someone
put a new varnish over an old finish that had lots of blemishes when
you're done, if you know what I mean....

A web site that I am aware of that carries "finish restorer" type
products is:
http://www.kramerize.com   It's certainly worth a shot...

Good luck!

Mark Potter